Dear Fellow Conservative,
In July 2007, Barack Obama promised a group of his supporters that, if elected president, he would sign perhaps the most evil piece of legislation in the history of our republic.
It’s called the “Freedom of Choice Act,” or FOCA — but don’t let the Orwellian title fool you. It isn’t about “freedom” or “choice” at all. It’s about forcing each and every American citizen — regardless of his or her view on abortion — to support abortion-on-demand not just as a “fundamental right” but as a taxpayer-funded entitlement.
But the compulsion wouldn’t stop there. Because FOCA would also run roughshod over the conscience rights of doctors, nurses, and hospitals that oppose abortion on religious or moral grounds — forcing them to provide or counsel for abortion or face professional de-certification, loss of funding, lawsuits, and even prosecution.
Not only that, FOCA would immediately strike down any and all state restrictions on abortion — even those with wide popular support, such as prohibitions on partial-birth abortion and parental notification requirements for minors seeking abortions.
Make no mistake: FOCA is the most radical piece of pro-abortion legislation ever proposed, one that would go far beyond Roe v. Wade in making abortion a government-protected and taxpayer-supported “right,” through all nine months of pregnancy.
That’s why I’m asking you today to support HUMAN EVENTS in its efforts to stop this outrageous piece of legislation before it ever reaches President Obama’s desk.
Let me explain why this is possible — and how
HUMAN EVENTS plans to do it…
You see, in his 2007 campaign pledge to Planned Parenthood members, Obama promised that signing FOCA would be “the first thing I’d do as president.” The only reason he hasn’t followed through on that promise is that Democratic-controlled Congress has yet to introduce and pass it.
Why the delay? For one thing, they’ve had bigger fish to fry — such as trillion-dollar “stimulus” packages and a new government-run health care system. They learned from Bill Clinton’s immediate post-election action on gays in the military not to squander a new president’s honeymoon period on divisive social legislation.
But also, by delaying, they can lull their pro-life opponents into thinking that FOCA has been tabled, while quietly building support for it in a stealth propaganda campaign that is already underway using major media outlets — such as the Washington Post, which recently ran a piece in its “On Faith” section called “Why Fear FOCA?”
But with your help, HUMAN EVENTS will defeat the pro-abortionists’ “stealth” media campaign with its own media blitzkrieg designed to counter pro-FOCA lies and propaganda with the facts.
Here’s how it will work…
The main weapon in HUMAN EVENTS’ media blitzkrieg will be an in-depth Special Report called, “The Facts About FOCA: Truth vs. Propaganda in the Battle Over the Most Radical Pro-Abortion Law in American History.”
Written in consultation with the finest legal minds of our time, “The Facts About FOCA” will reveal how, despite pro-abortionists’ attempts to soft-pedal its potential impact in order to ensure swift passage, the Freedom of Choice Act would:
- Establish abortion as a “fundamental right,” elevating it to the same status as the right to vote and the right to free speech — going beyond any Supreme Court decision in enshrining unlimited abortion-on-demand into American law
- Eliminate every restriction on abortion nationwide — including 44 states’ laws concerning parental involvement, 40 states’ laws on restricting later-term abortions, 46 states’ conscience protection laws for individual health care providers, 27 states’ conscience protection laws for institutions, 38 states’ bans on partial-birth abortions, 33 states’ laws on requiring counseling before an abortion, and 16 states’ laws concerning ultrasounds before an abortion
- Compel taxpayer funding of abortions through state and federal welfare programs, federal employee insurance plans, and in military hospitals.
- Force faith-based hospitals and healthcare facilities to perform abortions
- Force doctors and nurses to provide counseling and referral for abortions
But creating “The Facts About FOCA” is just the beginning. HUMAN EVENTS will then publicize and distribute it on a massive scale, both in print versions and online, to provoke a massive outpouring of voter outrage that will stop this evil law from being enacted.
Included among the activists, opinion-makers, and other influential citizens to whom HUMAN EVENTS will distribute “The Facts About FOCA” will be:
- Pro-life, conservative, and/or Republican activist groups on HUMAN EVENTS’ own extensive nationwide list, with an invitation to help spread the word by ordering and distributing inexpensive bulk reprints of the report
- Top editors, reporters, and syndicated columnists on every major metropolitan and regional paper in America, plus many local ones. HUMAN EVENTS will give them blanket advance permission to reproduce the report in whole or in part, without paying royalties
- Talk-radio hosts in every radio market in the country, from Rush Limbaugh on down. Again, HUMAN EVENTS will allow them to quote from it as extensively as they wish, at no cost
- TV news editors, anchors, and reporters at all the networks and cable news channels, as well as local affiliates
- All 435 members of the U.S. House and Senate, with additional copies for their staff members and committee aides
- More than 150,000 dedicated HUMAN EVENTS readers
And you, of course, will be first to receive “The Facts About FOCA” — no one will get it before you do!
Can HUMAN EVENTS do it?
YES – because they’ve done it before
In 2004, HUMAN EVENTS helped an obscure organization with no money known as the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth publicize their claims about John Kerry. They had planned a commercial for a small number of local TV markets. But before it even ran, HUMAN EVENTS posted the ad on its website and leaked it to Matt Drudge — then sent out hundreds of thousands of email messages calling attention to it over several weeks.
Result? Tens of millions of people were able to view an ad that otherwise would have reached a few hundred thousand at best. That, in turn, helped make a #1 New York Times bestseller out of Unfit for Command: Swift Boat Veterans Speak Out Against John Kerry, published by HUMAN EVENTS’ sister company, Regnery — provoking the New York Times itself to concede, “If John Kerry loses the presidential election, Unfit for Command, by John E. O’Neill and Jerome R. Corsi, will go down as a chief reason.” He did, and it was.
I promise you, HUMAN EVENTS can accomplish the same sort of thing with “The Facts About FOCA.”
But They Need YOUR Help
Creating and distributing “The Facts About FOCA” on a massive, nationwide scale will not come cheap. But it will be worth every penny if it helps defeat this deadly and freedom-destroying legislation.
It wouldn’t be fair to pass on that cost to HUMAN EVENTS readers by hiking subscription rates. And unlike most liberal publications, they receive no support from big corporations or foundations — for whom they’re about as “politically incorrect” as you can get.
Which leaves people like you — dedicated conservatives who share not only HUMAN EVENTS’ pro-life principles, but their commitment to making an impact on the great political struggles of our day.
It’s going to be tough, but I believe we can do it. Your donation will help HUMAN EVENTS “fight the good fight” against FOCA, and support it in its ongoing mission to promote limited government, individual liberty, and traditional values.
And to express their gratitude for your donation of just $75 or more, HUMAN EVENTS will send you a complimentary hardcover copy of The Party of Death: The Democrats, the Media, the Courts, and the Disregard for Human Life, written by National Review senior editor Ramesh Ponnuru.
Of course, any amount you send will be greatly appreciated — and they’ll send you a copy of their special report, “The Facts About FOCA,” to thank you for your contribution big or small.
Donate now so we can bring “The Facts About FOCA” to the American public — and stop the so-called “Freedom of Choice Act” in its tracks.
P.S. Just like HUMAN EVENTS’ “Swift-Boat” exposure helped to sink John Kerry in 2004, “The Facts About FOCA” could prevent this outrageous piece of pro-abortion legislation from ever reaching the desk of President Obama — who has promised to sign it. HUMAN EVENTS needs your help to tell the public the truth and spark a firestorm of voter opposition before it’s too late. Please make as generous a contribution as you can today.
P.P.S. Give $75 or more and HUMAN EVENTS will send you a complimentary hardcover copy of Ramesh Ponnuru’s The Party of Death: The Democrats, the Media, the Courts, and the Disregard for Human Life as a thank-you gift. Ponnuru’s shocking exposé shows just how extreme the Party of Death has become as they seek to destroy every inconvenient life, demand fealty to their radical agenda, and punish anyone who defies them. But he also shows how the tide is turning, how the Party of Death can be defeated, and why its last victim might be the Democratic Party itself.